It might make a big difference in people’s lives if they understood that the soul is a spiritual part of the human anatomy.
James 2:26 explains that, “For as the body without the spirit is dead, so faith without works is dead also.” Your “inner man” or “spiritual man” is comprised of your human spirit and your soul. The moment this inner man leaves the body, death occurs. Let’s dig deeper.
Your soul is actually a living spiritual part of you. It is where your mind, will, and emotions—your spiritual energy—is located.
If you ever go to a funeral, you will notice that when there is an open casket, the deceased doesn’t look like a person sleeping. It is so obvious to me when I look. The body is like a clay vessel; the spirit that animates it has gone.
The reason I say this is because I want to talk to you about the power of soul ties.
Why is this important?
1. You are a spiritual being in a physical body. Even as your body can connect with something physical, your soul can connect with someone else. During the act of sexual intimacy, the two become one (Genesis 2:24). This is one of the mischiefs of sex. The consequences of soul ties has not been effectively taught in this generation.
2. Your soul can be bound to another. When two pieces of paper are glued together, no matter how carefully they are pulled apart, each side has fragments from the other that remain stuck to it. When you have multiple physical partners, you have multiple parts of you that have “become one” with those partners. It may not be that all those relationships have equal power but it is almost certain that there is a memory imprint that is hard to shake from one or more such encounters. American culture has completely collapsed on this front. Young people are stunned to hear this paradigm. It does more to clarify the Biblical call to sexual purity when seen from a different perspective.
What I encourage people to realize is that your soul is a real spiritual energy. The capacity to bond or have a “soul tie” with another person is not always bad. David and Jonathan, for instance, had a godly soul tie. Parts of you entwine, connect, and bond with others. Jesus had this holy bond with the 12 disciples and FELT IT when one of them betrayed that bond at the table.
The point is—be intentional, be careful about where you bond your emotions, where you go physically, where you go with intimacy, and how you open yourself up with another person. The fibers become woven together, and they influence you and you influence them. Even in physical separation, you don’t always stay apart.
3. Soul ties can hinder or delay God’s destiny for your future relationships. These individuals who were once close to you can linger in the memory of your soul. In many deliverance sessions where I’ve helped people get remarkably free, they recognize that parts of their soul are attached to other people, and that they can never fully give themselves to the relationship they are in until certain ties are broken.
When you are able to identify these soul ties and sources of bondage that are holding you back in life, you will be able to start moving towards your destiny and deeper in your relationship with God. If you believe that you are in bondage from lingering soul ties, here is what I suggest you do:
- Pray to Holy Spirit and ask him to shine His light on the areas of your life that are in bondage because of a soul tie. Let Holy Spirit reveal it to you so you can name it and then identify it.
- Break agreement with the soul tie(s). Name it and ask the Lord to remove it from you life.
- Dedicate that part of your life back to the Lord. Give him full access to those rooms of your heart and mind.
You might have objects, or gifts, such as jewelry, for instance, from past boyfriends or girlfriends. Take a look at it, and ask the Lord, “Is it time to get rid of it?” If you can’t let it go—there’s a soulish tie and connection with the item.
Consider getting rid of anything that is a trigger or a tie to neurological attachments and memories—these things are no longer meant to be a part of your heart or your life.
Question: Do you have unholy attachments with people from your past (or your present) with whom you need to break soul ties? What is the Lord speaking to you? His heart is for you to walk in freedom.
P.S. Let this be a word that brings life and healing. Shame and condemnation have NO place. Receive His forgiveness and restoration. God is a God of REDEMPTION. When submitted before Him, He WASHES ALL THINGS CLEAN.
Now is the time to surrender, cut ties, and walk in a NEW freedom!