3 Ways To Align Your Desire With God’s Will
Do you ever ask yourself, “Where did this passion come from? Is it ok to desire its fulfillment? Is it from God?”
I’ve got to be honest with you, when it comes to dreams and desires, if there’s one thing you will struggle with, it’s this question: “Is this from you, Lord?”
God does two things:
1. God often puts the desires and yearnings of His heart into your spirit. “Delight yourself in the Lord, and he will give you the desires of your heart” (Psalm 37:4).
2. Heaven also notes the desires that come from your heart and weaves their fulfillment into your journey. (I am using desire and “passion” interchangeably.)
Heaven wants to empower you so that you can conceive and create inspired things!
We often stress out over “not missing” the will of God, never realizing that the Spirit is not always directing us in detail. The Lord is not wanting perfection from us, He is wanting FAITH and that implies an element of risk and uncertainty. God is delighted when we simply go forward, improvising by faith in the direction that aligns with His Word.
Again, it’s just mind blowing that God honors the desires that are in our hearts. These desires are an early indicator of a new direction. It begins as a pull, a yearning, that is in your life that will move you in the direction of what Heaven ultimately wants you to do.
So how do we harness and sanctify this desire for His glory?
The three part formula of Psalm 37:3-5 is a perfect guide. Trust, delight and commit.
Trust in the Lord, and do good; dwell in the land, and feed on His faithfulness. Delight yourself also in the Lord, and He shall give you the desires of your heart. Commit your way to the Lord, trust also in Him, and He shall bring it to pass.” Psalm 37:3-5
1. Trust! First, believe that God has a good plan for your life, that He hears and is directing your prayers.
2. Delight! Make His presence, His agenda, His smile the supreme asset and your main pursuit.
3. Commit! Here’s the hard part: make choices that are tangible, hard, real, solid choices. You’re committing your way when you give of your time or resources, sign up to go to an event, or when you give your word to be somewhere. This is a strong commitment fortified by trust and solidified with a desire to live in God’s presence under the smile of heaven.
This yielding and committing creates an environment where God not only gives you the desires that are in your heart, but He provides a place for the desires that are autonomously flowing from your heart to be woven into His blueprint and plan.
The Lord has made you in His image, like an Adam that is cultivating a garden. He wants you to curate, cultivate, and manifest certain dreams, desires, and ideas that are in your heart to do. Don’t obsess over questions of if it is God’s will. If it is in line with the Word and is a repeated yearning, you should move toward it and see where the journey takes you.
Here’s my question to you: What is the passion or desire that is rising up currently within you as you read this? Comment below and tell me about it.
P.S. – Do you have the Periscope app? We have an almost daily party on Periscope and you need to be part of it! Get the app and join us here: