One of the most powerful factors in personal transformation is SELF TALK! If, as the Bible states, you are “transformed by the renewing of your mind,” how you think and what you say to yourself have to both be top factors in your transformation.
So where do we begin?
First, we need AWARENESS! The mischief regarding self talk is that it is so constant we seldom are aware we are doing it. You won't always catch it, but you can be aware of how it makes you feel. Your emotions are wired to your thoughts – they are linked into a cause and effect sequence. As Paul wrote to the Romans: “The mind that is set on the flesh is death, but the mind that is set on the Spirit is life and peace.”
So here are 5 steps that you can use:
1. When in an extreme negative state of feeling, ask…”What am I saying to myself right now?” Get clear on the thought or belief that you hold about yourself, others, or the situation in mind.
2. Ask – “Can I be absolutely certain that what I believe is true? How do I know?” Does what you are thinking actually line up with the Word of God? If not, what should you change? Again, if it’s the truth that sets you free, it’s a lie that holds you captive. What's the lie at the root of this? Is there a subtle insinuation that “You are not enough?” or “You will not be loved?” or “You will lose something you value”? How do you know this is true?
3. Does this thought or attitude serve your ultimate best interests? Does it make you happy, calm, and fulfilled?
4. Does this attitude or belief get you more of what you want, need, and deserve? Is it taking you into your desired future, or is it leading you into circumstances that you don't want?
5. MY FAVORITE STEP…… Since we all pretty much create our own meaning for things, what could you come up with as a new meaning for this situation? What new attitude or new belief could you create that would make this an exciting and positive experience for you?
THIS last step is the practice of “Over-comers”! They work with the problem until they unearth the empowering belief that re-frames it.
As the researcher Napoleon Hill discovered, every adversity carries within it the seeds of an equivalent or GREATER benefit of SUCCESS.